Homeschool with Five in a Row: Warm As Wool
Our next FIAR book study was "Warm As Wool" by.... from Volume 3.
" A woman of vision and financial wisdom faces a need, which results in a herd of sheep and warm children" (Summary from FIAR manual).
We read a lot of extra books during this row... you can check out our book basket at the bottom of this post. Otherwise, here is what we did....
Homeschooling with Five in a Row
- Found Connecticut and Ohio on our map
- Briefly talked about the five Great Lakes and found them on the map, too.
- /SH/ sound sort-- we had to determine if the /sh/ sound came at the beginning or the end of the word. This was a bit tough for him and it was probably magnified by his ear infection!
- Our own version of the Little Sheep Sight Word Game found on tpt: I didn't want to use up ink printing everything, so I just laid out sight words we had already and hid a *pig* sticker under one of them... I couldn't find a sheep! Lol. It worked! It was good review. We haven't done any new sight words lately, nor have we reviewed... and we need too : )
- Sheep rhyme-- My son typically can match rhyming words if I say them, but he has trouble coming up with his own rhyming word.
- Sheep rhyme manipulative-- After having my son try to rhyme on his own, I found this to use. Do I expect too much??
Anyone know of a way to teach rhyme or is it something he'll pick up with repetition? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
- Farm animal graphing from Musings of Me's Farm Fun Pack-- there's actually over 100 pages of stuff!
- Subtraction with our Inchimals
- Santa's Sleigh Drop-- Subtraction Activity
- My son also completed his Math u See Primer Workbook!! So proud of him : ) On to Alpha, next!
This was A LOT trickier and messier than I thought it would be; though, we did have TONS of fun soaking the pieces of yarn in the glue for me! I blew up some water balloons and only 2 have stayed together. I used modge podge and because it was so messy, I didn't wrap the yarn around as much as I should have... oh well. It was fun!
- Frost experiment: this idea and many others came from the FIAR achives!! I put a clean glass in the freezer. Later, we took it out-- watched it fog up and discussed how cold the glass was and how that was what the floor felt like in the cabin! Brrrrr!!
- Learned about sheep-- watched a Youtube video showing sheep being sheared; T enjoyed it!