Itsy Bitsy Spider Fine Motor Math Game: Race to 20
I made a fun DIY math game for my preschooler during our second week of Playful Preschool. Our preschool theme this week was Nursery Rhymes, so our Race to 20 math game was inspired by the nursery rhyme, Itsy Bitsy Spider.
post may contain affiliate links.
- paint stick
- two small clothespins
- two adhesive spider stickers or small plastic spiders
- numbered die
Nursery Rhyme Preschool Activity
First you'll need to decorate the "water spout," i.e. paint stick using markers. I drew raindrops and some flowers on our paint stick. On a seperate piece of paper I drew a sun, cut it out, and glued it to the top of the paint stick. Our paint stick was long enouch to make 20 marks, which I kinda eyeballed.. but you can choose what number you'd like to "race to" and fit the numbers on the paint stick accordingly.
Next stick the adhesive spider stickers to the clothespins.
Grab someone to play with and you are all set!
Simply roll the dice and move that many spaces "up the waterspout" (ie. paint stick). First to reach the sun, wins! Oh, and bonus that this math game is also working on fine motor skills!
In case your curious, here's what else we did during our Nursery Rhymes Preschool week...
- ABC Maze on the driveway
- Sang 5 Little Monkeys Nursery Rhyme and wrote M's all over a chalkboard that Little Sis 'erased' with water and a qtip.
- Borax and Glue Gak; we used black colored glue and sang "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"
- Fall Leaf Rhyme; as I said the rhyme all three kiddos threw leaves bought from the craft store into the air. We "raked" them up with our fingers, and did it all over again!
- Five Little Monkeys Fine Motor Activity
- Race to 20 Game
- Mouse Sorting and Sizing Activity inspired by Three Blind Mice
©2011-2013 School Time Snippets. All rights reserved. You are free to link back to my website but all text, photos, and other content may not be reproduced without the written consent of the author.