Top Social

Yarn Wrapped Rainbow | Spring Fine Motor Skills Craft

I must say that I am in love with our Yarn Wrapped Rainbow that I am sharing today.

I may be a bit biased, but I think it turned out so beautiful.

It's colorful, festive, and works on strengthening those fine motor muscles.

A fun spring themed craft for kids that is a great way to sneak in fine motor skills, too!

spring fine motor skills rainbow craft

post may contain affiliate links.  Thanks for your support.

Spring showers often bring rainbows! My kids and I are always in awe when we spot the colorful arch up in the sky!  Rainbows are also fun to create with different materials!  Sneak in fine motor skills as you  create this lovely yarn wrapped rainbow!

Spring Fine Motor Skills Craft

We made little miniature Yarn Wrapped Rainbows with:

Yarn Wrapped Rainbow

To prep for the activity, I cut several pieces of colored yarn and laid them on the table.

Also on the table was the cardboard shaped rainbows I made from an empty fruit snack box.

I colored in the colors of the rainbow to work on color recognition with my toddler, and I also think it helped fill in any gaps of yarn.

how to make yarn wrapped rainbow

To keep the yarn from unraveling, I cut slits on the top and bottom of the rainbow.

Start wrapping the red yarn over the red colored section of the rainbow, or start anywhere you like!  It's a very simple craft for you kiddos; start with one color and move onto the next until you are ready for the next color.

Little Sis did need help getting the yarn tucked into the slits, but otherwise, she knew just what to do... and did it well!

Big Brother enjoyed this activity, too.

He even completed my rainbow for me!

Yarn Wrapping is a great fine motor activity

Once you are finished wrapping the colors to make a rainbow, take a cotton ball and glue it to each end of the rainbow.

For some extra fine motor fun, have your kiddos work at pulling and stretching the cotton ball apart.

Simple and beautiful!  Hope it adds a little color and Spring thinking wherever you are!

rainbow fine motor skills craft for spring

More fine motor activities:

This activity and more are featured in our book: 99 Fine Motor Ideas

99 fine motor ideas for ages 1 to 5

19 comments on "Yarn Wrapped Rainbow | Spring Fine Motor Skills Craft "
  1. This is such a cute idea! Love it!

ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love this!! It's so adorable and fun looking! I need to try some yarn wrapping with my daughter, so cool!

ReplyDelete
  3. We love anything rainbow here at Still Playing School!

4. Georgina @ Craftulate2:42 PM, March 14, 2014

These are adorable!!

5. School Time Snippets9:34 AM, March 15, 2014

Thanks! I love how they turned out, too : )

ReplyDelete
  6. Love these, Kristina! I'll bet the birds did too!

7. What a sweet idea which would be great for decoration too! :D

8. Eliška Novotná4:22 PM, March 16, 2014

Thank you so much! I have been looking for something like that all day! Hooooraaaay! ;-)

ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea so simple and effective :)

ReplyDelete
  10. Where'd you find your caterpillar?

11. School Time Snippets10:48 AM, March 17, 2014

Aww, so happy you love it! Enjoy the activity : )

ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! So simple, but colorful and fun. Love how it turned out!

13. School Time Snippets4:02 PM, March 18, 2014

Hi Meg,

I found him over at Mathwire.com; it is actually a sheet for 100 Days of School-- but I changed him for our reading log... http://www.mathwire.com/seasonal/100day.html You can find him on towards the bottom of that page.

ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea!!! :) As in, I want to do it myself. :)

Mars M.
    www.montessoriinmars.blogspot.com

ReplyDelete
  15. That is so cute! I have a home day care and I'm always looking for easy crafts to do with the kids. This is perfect. I'd love for you to drop by and add your post to my weekly Just for Kids link up :) http://www.homeschoolingmom4two.com/2014/03/just-for-kids-weekly-link-up-crafts_17.html

16. Eliška Novotná12:34 PM, March 21, 2014

I did. :-) So did "my" children. I hung all of them (6 rainbows) in the window, and some clouds among. It looks very beautiful. Thank you again. :-)

17. School Time Snippets10:54 AM, March 24, 2014

Thanks for coming back to share! So glad!

18. School Time Snippets10:55 AM, March 24, 2014

Thanks! Not gonna lie, I was kinda bummed that my son wanted to do two of them because that meant I couldn't do one ; )

19. School Time Snippets10:56 AM, March 24, 2014

Little late, but just linked up! Thanks for the invite : )

ReplyDelete

I'd Love to Hear From You!