We have done a number of alphabet/ letter recognition activities with Little Sis but recently, with our stash of Toobs, I set up an activity for Little Sis to work on letter sounds.
She knows almost all of her letters and some letter sounds, but I set up this activity to reinforce what she already knows and to encourage her to learn the sounds of letters she does not have memorized.
It turned out to be a simple, fun, and hands-on way to learn letter sounds!
post contains affiliate links.
What you need:
- letter manipulatives
- A set or more of Safari, Inc. Toobs
Preschool Literacy GameI grabbed our letter manipulatives I picked up at the Dollar Store and various Toob sets.
We have Safari, Inc. Rainforest Toob, Arctic Toob, Baby Zoo Animals, Around the World Toob,Coral Reef Toob, and Knights and Dragons Toob.
Toobs are great for pretend play like our Ocean Sensory Experience or to use as hands-on manipulatives for this activity to work on letter sounds.
I placed six Toob toys onto a tray while naming them for Little sis.
In a bowl I provided letter manipulatives that matched the beginning letter sound to one of the Toob toys.
Once she pulled out a letter I asked her is she knew what letter sound it made-- she would either make the sound herself or I would tell her if she didn't know.
Then I would say what the name of each toy on the tray again to see if she could pick out the toy that begins with that letter sound.
This was a fun hands-on way to learn letter sounds and it was so simple to put together, I am sure we'll visit it again.
It was a great way to engage Little Sis in learning an important literacy skill and have some one-on-one time with her.
More Learning Activivities using Small Toys:
- Car Parking Lot Preschool Math Grid Game from Life Over C’s
- Alphabet Car Wash from Learning 2 Walk
- Sorting and Counting with Die-Cast Trains from Crafty Mama in ME
- Directionality Activity with Small Cars from Teach Me Mommy
- Forest Animals Letter Sounds Activity from Stir the Wonder
- Learning Shapes with Toy Cars from Adventures of Adam
- What Makes Ice Melt Fastest from Raising Little Superheroes
- Fun DIY Phonics Game from Mum in the Madhouse
- What Do Animals Eat? Classification Activity from Schooling a Monkey
- Color Mixing with Toy Cars from The Kindergarten Connection
- AM and PM Time Telling with Shopkins from Sugar Aunts
- Sorting Animals Venn Diagram Activity from Mom Inspired Life
- Fairies & STEM Activities: Gardening with Kids from Edventures with Kids
- Name & Letter Practice: A Painting With Toy Car Activity from Play Dough & Popsicles
- Learning Letters & Reading With Cars! from Preschool Powol Packets
- Shopkins Sorting from Still Playing School